Former Melbourne Storm players have slammed the club over disrespectful Cameron Munster offer
Former Melbourne Storm players have lashed out at the new deal the club has offered star five-eighth Cameron Munster with an offer that is significantly lower than his current pay packet.
The Queensland and Australian five-eighth is under contract with the Storm until the end of next season and may have to take a massive pay cut to remain at the club he has spent his entire NRL career at.
Munster is set to make $1.2million in 2023, the final year of his contract with the Storm, and Fox Sports reported earlier this week he’s only been offered $750,000 a season on a three-year extension.
Melbourne Storm five-eight Cameron Munster is off contract at the end of the 2023 season
The offer tabled by the club has reportedly not gone down well amongst some of Craig Bellamy’s former lieutenants.
‘I’ve actually spoken to former Storm players and others about this, and they think it’s a huge lack of respect for Munster,’ Andrew Webster of the Sydney Morning Herald said on SEN 1170 Mornings on Thursday.
‘I know what happened in the off-season happened, and they’ve supported him in terms of rehab and stuff.
‘He’s given good service to that club over a long period of time.’
Munster (fourth from left) won three Premierships during eight seasons with the Storm
The Storm have invested heavily in contract extensions for halfback Jahrome Hughes and hooker Harry Grant, leaving them no room under the cap to pay Munster what he’s worth
Melbourne have invested heavily in contract extensions for halfback Jahrome Hughes and hooker Harry Grant, who have penned four-year and three-year deals respectively.
Both players are understood to have been retained on million-dollar deals, leaving the Storm hamstrung by the NRL salary cap and unable to pay Munster what he wants.
‘He’s won them premierships for god’s sake, I would’ve thought get in the queue really,’ Webster added.
‘[They should’ve told their squad] if they wanted to stay together, “Be prepared to take less so Cameron Munster can stay”.’
Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett is reportedly looking to sign Munster for the 2024 season
The Queensland star has reportedly been offered a seven-figure deal by the Dolphins, with the NRL newcomers desperate to make a statement signing ahead of their debut season next year.
Redcliffe are said to have offered the 27-year-old a deal in the region of $1.2million per season. However, given Munster is under contract with the Storm through to the end of the 2023 campaign, he will not be able to formally sign a contract until November 1.
Earlier this week, the Daily Telegraph reported Canterbury had also entered the race to sign the three-time premiership winner and were planning a huge bid to convince Munster to swap Melbourne for Sydney.