Rival ‘slams door’ on Brooks replacement ploy
The embattled Tigers have suffered another blow with English club Warrington slamming the door on any approaches by NRL clubs to sign star halfback George Williams.
With the lack of a match-winning halfback the biggest of the Tigers’ many problems, the club was believed to be set to make a play for Williams, who had a highly successful stint at Canberra in 2020-21.
But Warrington boss Karl Fitzpatrick told Wide World of Sports there is no way his club would even consider releasing Williams – even for a fat transfer fee.
READ MORE: Socceroos taught ‘great lesson’ by Ecuador
READ MORE: V’landys open to unprecedented NRL GF move
READ MORE: Cleary comment to set ‘thuggish’ NRL on edge
“He is signed with us until the end of 2024 and we are actually in discussions about an extension,” Fitzpatrick said.
“We rate George very highly and no way will he be leaving us any time soon.”
Much-maligned Tigers halfback Luke Brooks is coming off contract at year’s end and the club has yet to decide whether to re-sign him or move in a different direction.
VETERAN WARRIOR RETURNS
The Warriors have received a timely early-season boost with the return of journeyman prop James Gavet to the club.
A former Samoan Test forward, Gavet, now 33, played for the Warriors from 2016 to 2018 and also had stints at Canterbury, Wests Tigers, Brisbane Broncos, Newcastle Knights, and Huddersfield in the UK.
He made his return to Mount Smart Stadium as the Warriors beat the undefeated Bulldogs 30-18 in the NSW Cup last weekend.
Stream the NRL premiership 2023 live and free on 9Now
Gavet’s stats were impressive for his first game – 145 running metres, four tackle busts and 18 tackles with zero misses in 46 minutes.
The veteran forward is currently on a NSW Cup deal but could find himself getting a taste of the NRL again if injuries hit the Warriors over a long season.
NRLW PREMIERS UNDER SIEGE
Newcastle’s premiership-winning NRLW team is under siege, with up to six players set to defect to rival clubs.
With four new teams entering the competition, the battle is on for talent – and clubs are looking to attack the Knights.
Skipper and front-rower Millie Boyle, who starred in the grand final, is in the Roosters’ sights, while a host of other players have also been made offers from rival clubs.
The NRL and RLPA have announced the NRLW contracting window will open at 9am on Wednesday, after a number of details were finalised. These include that players can sign multi-year deals for the first time.
With the competition due to begin mid-year, plenty of clubs are preparing to pounce on rival players.
NRLW stars share medal
FORMER TITAN TO FIND NEW HOME
French Super League team Catalans Dragons are the favourites to sign former Titans outside back Patrick Herbert.
Herbert, 26, was granted an early release from his Titans contract last week by mutual consent.
He has been in talks with several Super League franchises, with Catalans appearing most likely to gain his services.
Herbert played 20 games in his first Titans season in 2021, helping the club reach the finals.
But injuries and patchy form over the past two seasons have stalled his progress.
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!